Saturday, June 06, 2009

skande


let me just start by saying that i personally think joost van der westhuizen may be the best scrum half the world has ever seen and besides possibly advising steve hofmeyr not to add the line "'n blou bul snuif nie van 'n hoer af nie" to his blou bul song because it can't be substantiated, i don't particularly care about the recent media frenzy about the man. i think they should just leave him alone, whether the stories are true or not.

however, after one of my old interns related a story to me many years ago i never viewed him as too bright. i suppose you don't need to be bright to be the best scrum half the world has ever seen.

my house doctor was going out with a rugby mad guy (i suppose a bit like me actually). her boyfriend was a particular fan of joost van der westhuizen (as i was too). one day she was walking through the streets of pretoria when who should she run into but none other than joost himself. she was not a great fan of rugby and by implication of joost but she was quite a fan of her boyfriend. she therefore decided to ask him for an autograph which she would give to her boyfriend and thereby earn many brownie points. the way she tells the story, the exchange went something like this.

"excuse me mr van der westhuizen, but could i please have an autograph?" says she presenting him with paper and pen in order to facilitate the exchange.
"ok, if it doesn't take too long." replies the legend.
"why? do you have a problem writing your own name?"

she did not get the autograph and the associated brownie points. she did, however get a good laugh from me.

9 comments:

amanzimtoti said...

Moer snaaks. I must say, Steve's song is how I knew The Hoff wasn't a blue bull.

Jabulani said...

My first ever job was working for a company affiliated to Transvaal Rugby Board. I spent an inordinate amount of time at both Ellis Park and Loftus Versveld and met all the iconic 80s players. I had an absolute jol, but pretty soon established that whilst a brilliance in rugby playing was a requisite, cerebral excellence was not! And for some reason, this lack was not a deterrent to the groupies!! One thing I'll say in their defence tho', they were great guys with impeccable manners.

Unknown said...

Here in Japan, there are several universities in these parts which have decided to increase their attraction to the available yen to fill their empty seats. One of these strategies is, "If you build it, they will come." (this is a US film culture reference to a 1989 movie called the "Field of Dreams" with Kevin Costner) meaning here is that the schools have poured money into all things rugby. So if the wanna-be player-students come then so also will their friends. I am assuming that someone in marketing did their homework to support these costs......

Jayne said...

I can just imagine Joost saying something as dof as that!
I hope you managed to watch the Cheetahs game on Saturday - cracking bit of rugby IMHO :-)
I swear our TV might need surgery soon amanzi - if Hugh *hic* Blyden cocks up another players name, I have a horrible feeling my hubby might chuck a boot at the box!
*sigh*

Unknown said...

I must correct you. Best scrum half the world has ever seen has to be Justin Marshall.
Of course, I studied in New Zealand for a long time, so I might be biased.

Bongi said...

ming you are clearly biased. bias causes ridiculous statements.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Ming, Justin Marshall probably is the best scrum half in the history of the game.

Jabulani said...

Jayne: Good gracious, you've reminded me I was at school with Hugh Blyden's son, Anthony ...damn I'd forgotten that and had to check it with one of the other guys in the cricket team!! I met Blyden senior on many an occasion. He couldn't get my name right either - I always thought it was because my name is Welsh!! Small world

Jayne said...

Jabulani - 'tis a small world indeed :-)